16-storey building collapses in Tanzania; 3 dead, dozens feared trapped
Dar es Salaam: At least three people are confirmed dead and over 60 people were trapped when a 16-storey building collapsed on Friday in downtown Dar es Salaam.
As rescuers are searching for survivors, hundreds of people, including residents and army rescuers are searching through piles of rubble in the hunt for survivors a Xinhua journalist at the site said.
Earthmovers and excavators are also helping in the rescue operations.
There were more than 60 people inside the building when it suddenly fell. The building under construction belongs to Tanzania National Housing Corporation.
Police have arrested several people as part of the investigation but gave no further details.
Meanwhile, Tanzanian President Jakaya Kikwete visited the scene of the disaster in the coastal city and posted messages of condolence on his Twitter account.
"We pray for those who have been afflicted by this tragedy. We pray for togetherness in this time of need," he said.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh