16-storey building collapses in Tanzania; 3 dead, dozens feared trapped
Dar es Salaam: At least three people are confirmed dead and over 60 people were trapped when a 16-storey building collapsed on Friday in downtown Dar es Salaam.
As rescuers are searching for survivors, hundreds of people, including residents and army rescuers are searching through piles of rubble in the hunt for survivors a Xinhua journalist at the site said.
Earthmovers and excavators are also helping in the rescue operations.
There were more than 60 people inside the building when it suddenly fell. The building under construction belongs to Tanzania National Housing Corporation.
Police have arrested several people as part of the investigation but gave no further details.
Meanwhile, Tanzanian President Jakaya Kikwete visited the scene of the disaster in the coastal city and posted messages of condolence on his Twitter account.
"We pray for those who have been afflicted by this tragedy. We pray for togetherness in this time of need," he said.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest