16-storey building collapses in Tanzania; 3 dead, dozens feared trapped
Dar es Salaam: At least three people are confirmed dead and over 60 people were trapped when a 16-storey building collapsed on Friday in downtown Dar es Salaam.
As rescuers are searching for survivors, hundreds of people, including residents and army rescuers are searching through piles of rubble in the hunt for survivors a Xinhua journalist at the site said.
Earthmovers and excavators are also helping in the rescue operations.
There were more than 60 people inside the building when it suddenly fell. The building under construction belongs to Tanzania National Housing Corporation.
Police have arrested several people as part of the investigation but gave no further details.
Meanwhile, Tanzanian President Jakaya Kikwete visited the scene of the disaster in the coastal city and posted messages of condolence on his Twitter account.
"We pray for those who have been afflicted by this tragedy. We pray for togetherness in this time of need," he said.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Mahasweta Devi – the gutsy social activist who took on political bigwigs for the dispossessed
- China says pressing ahead with own anti-missile system
- Sri Lanka vs Australia: Kusal Mendis emulates Kumar Sangakkara, scores 150-plus runs in 2nd innings against Aussies
- Man held with 116 bottles of liquor in Bihar
- 'A Flying Jatt' rapper Raftaar speaks about his Bollywood journey- READ