16-storey building collapses in Tanzania; 3 dead, dozens feared trapped
Dar es Salaam: At least three people are confirmed dead and over 60 people were trapped when a 16-storey building collapsed on Friday in downtown Dar es Salaam.
As rescuers are searching for survivors, hundreds of people, including residents and army rescuers are searching through piles of rubble in the hunt for survivors a Xinhua journalist at the site said.
Earthmovers and excavators are also helping in the rescue operations.
There were more than 60 people inside the building when it suddenly fell. The building under construction belongs to Tanzania National Housing Corporation.
Police have arrested several people as part of the investigation but gave no further details.
Meanwhile, Tanzanian President Jakaya Kikwete visited the scene of the disaster in the coastal city and posted messages of condolence on his Twitter account.
"We pray for those who have been afflicted by this tragedy. We pray for togetherness in this time of need," he said.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes