17 Chinese officials punished after workers death
Beijing: Seventeen Chinese officials and workers in southwest China`s Guizhou Province were punished on Saturday after two people died during the forced demolition of a building.
Five of the 17 people were suspended from their post, three were detained by police for dereliction of duty and nine employees were given punishment of security detention, state- run Xinhua news agency reported.
Officials with the Housing and Urban-Rural Development Bureau of Renhuai City, the city`s Yanjin neighbourhood committee and officials in charge of dismantling illegal construction were among those penalised.
Workers were organised by the bureau to demolish a building that was being illegally constructed in a Yanjin community, yesterday when a cement board fell from the building, injuring five construction workers.
Two of the five injured later died in hospital, and three others were undergoing treatment a spokesman with the investigation team said.
People carried the bodies of dead construction workers to the city government office building last night, drawing a group of onlookers.
Under the persuasion of relevant authorities and police, the crowd dispersed later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test