This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

17 dead from storm in Argentina: Officials

Last Updated: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 00:29

Buenos Aires: A wind and rain storm that
shook the Buenos Aires area, killing 17 people, was the worst
in 100 years, government officials said Monday.

"Seventeen people died," Planning Minister Julio de Vido
said at a news conference giving the toll of last week`s

"I`m not a meteorologist but I`m not blind either. What
happened Wednesday was a tornado."

Wind, rain and hail damaged houses and businesses,
toppled thousands of trees and electric power poles, tumbled
walls and blew down billboards.

The National Meteorological Service recorded winds of
between 90 and 130 kilometers.

"There are no records of a storm of that magnitude in the
past 100 years," said Security Secretary Sergio Berni.

De Vido said 30,000 housing units in the urban belts west
and south of the city were still without power today.


First Published: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 00:29
comments powered by Disqus