17 gold miners dead in Ghana accident: Official
Accra: Authorities say 17 people are dead after an accident at a gold mine in central Ghana.
Local official Peter Kofi Owusu-Ashia told The Associated Press today that 20 others had been rescued yesterday afternoon.
Owusu-Ashia said authorities did not believe that anyone remained trapped inside the area but he said efforts would resume today at the site.
The deaths happened in Kyekyiwere, in the Upper Denkyira district in Ghana`s central region.
The cause of the accident was not immediately clear, and police promised to launch an investigation. Authorities have said that the miners were working there illegally at the time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof