17 killed, 44 missing in torrential rains in China
Beijing: Landslides crashed into three
mountain towns in eastern China killing 17 people and leaving
44 missing as emergency workers drained water out of a swollen
reservoir in another part of the country.
The mishaps were triggered by torrential rains which
loosened soil on the mountain tops making landslides sweep
through three different villages in Yunan province killing
four people in the city of Zhaotong, the state media reported.
In the neighbouring Sichuan province rockslides hit
two towns Yandai and Sima killing 13 people and injuring 53
The disasters were the latest in a recent spate of
rain related deaths in China. So far in the past one month
over 567 deaths have been reported due to floods and 251
people are listed as missing.
Meanwhile, a 300-strong team of armed police has been
laying sandbags along the riverbank in Tongcheng City to
prevent water gushing out of a 200-meter-long break on the
Qingcao Township Dike on the Dasha River from inundating
But authorities are concerned the sandbags will not be
able to hold the water back when heavy rains hit the area
again, so they are mulling the blasting of another part of the
dike in the eastern Anhui Province, the Xinhua reported.
Meteorological authorities have forecast another round
of heavy rains to hit the area over coming three days.
Disaster relief experts, army officials and engineers
will attend an emergency meeting to decide whether to blast
the dike, it reported quoting a local official.
Heavy machinery, including trucks and excavators, have
already been dumped into the river to slow the speed of the
water gushes. The situation is currently under control as the
weather has improved, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre