Cairo: At least 17 people were killed and eight others injured on Tuesday when an eight-story building collapsed in Egypt's Matariya district.
Around four surrounding buildings near the collapsed structure have been evacuated. Rescue teams are searching for other survivors trapped under the rubble, an official source said.
The collapse was caused by unauthorised construction of several extra stories on the old building.
A preliminary inspection of the site by prosecutors showed the owner had added two extra floor to the building without planning permission, and the second floor was undergoing renovation at the time of the collapse, Ahram online reported.
Both of these factors could have contributed to the collapse, the report quoted prosecutors as saying.
Seventeen people were killed and eight others injured in the accident, the report said.
Building collapses are common in Egypt due to illegal extensions and failure to adopt construction guidelines.
Rescuers were working to remove the rubble of the eight-storey building in the city`s Matariya suburb, state-run MENA news agency quoted Mamdouh Abdel Kader of Cairo`s General Directorate for Civil Protection as saying. He said that eight people were wounded in the collapse.
Initial investigations found that the building`s collapse was caused by unauthorised construction of several extra floors, according to an official at Cairo`s civil protection authority, Xinhua reported citing Ahram online.
Nearby buildings have been evacuated, the official added, noting that the civil authority had previously ordered the old building to be evacuated for its poor condition, but the inhabitants did not respond.
Building collapses are common in Egypt, where unlicensed construction had spread not only in the rural areas but also in the capital`s upscale suburbs due to lax governmental supervision and greed of developers.