17 killed in northern Nigeria violence
Abuja: At least 17 people, including ten militants, have been killed in fighting between members of the radical Islamist group Boko Haram and security forces in northeastern Nigeria, officials said on Monday.
Lt Colonel A G Laka of the Nigerian army confirmed that ten militants and seven security personnel were killed on Thursday during a violent confrontation in the northern city of Bama in Borno State.
Laka said Boko Haram members attacked a Divisional Police Officer`s (DPO) patrol vehicle, killing two of his orderlies.
The police responded the gunfire in which militants were also killed.
Laka said that the Joint team of soldiers and police responded to the attacks which resulted in fire on buildings mostly shopping malls and shops.
According to Laka, 200 houses were also burnt down.
"The special bullets we use which are called `Tracers` often spark fire once they hit target," he said.
Angry residents wanted the withdrawal of the soldiers from the streets of Bama.
Laka said that Boko Haram insurgents were using civilians, mostly women and children, in the thatch houses as a shield during the attack.
Boko Haram has been a major terrorist group in Nigeria which has killed thousands through suicide attacks, bombings and shootings.
The group wants to install an Islamic caliphate in Nigeria, an oil rich African country with a population of 150 million people equally shared between the two major religions, Islam and Christianity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand