17 militants killed in Nigeria
Abuja: At least 17 militants and one soldier have been killed when Nigerian security forces raided two terrorist training camps in the country`s northern state of Borno, the base of Islamic fundamentalist group Boko Haram.
"The January 30 and 31 raids were supported by Nigerian Airforce helicopter gunship," military spokesman Lt Colonel Sagir Musa said.
"The training camps located in the bush was fortified with several facilities like armoury, accommodation, drug store, kitchen and other things available in a normal human habitat," Musa said.
Efforts by the security force to destroy the camps led to a fierce exchange of fire that resulted in the death of 17 Boko Haram terrorists and a soldier was killed, Musa said, adding the training camp has been used to plan and execute several terrorist activities.
Boko Haram has been the major terrorist group in Nigeria which had killed thousands through suicide attacks, bombings and shootings. The group wants to install an Islamic caliphate in the oil rich African country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Not given chance to explore my acting abilities: Shamita Shetty
- Sakshi Malik expresses desire to meet Virender Sehwag – Read Viru's HILARIOUS reply
- Airtel upgrades over 9,000 network sites under Open Network
- Thrilled to be a grandfather: Boman Irani
- Misbah-ul-Haq's conversation with wife Uzma on Twitter is a HUGE hit on the internet!