170 tourists stranded in China due to tropical storm
Beijing: Around 170 tourists were stranded
in East China`s Zhejiang Province as tropical storm Kompasu
The tourists, including six Russians, had to stay in
Nanji Island of Wenzhou City as Kompasu triggered strong winds
on the sea, cutting off ship services linking Nanji to the
mainland, Xinhua newsagency reported.
The tourists, mainly from Zhejiang regions, arrived on
Friday for sightseeing and had planned to return to the
mainland to go home.
However, the tourists were forced to stay in hotels until
ship services resume after the wind weakens.
Also in Zhejiang, more than 200 tourists and residents
had been evacuated from Dachen Island of Taizhou City
yesterday as a precautionary measure as officials fear Kompasu
may paralyse the navigation routes.
"Kompasu," which means compass in Japanese, formed on
Sunday evening in the East China Sea and was moving northwest
at a speed of up to 20 kilometres per hour, the Zhejiang
teorological station said.
"Kompasu," along with "Lionrock" and the eighth tropical
low pressure system, which is yet to be named, will jointly
bring downpours to the coastal regions of Zhejiang today and
Wednesday with wind speeds of up to 32.6 metres per second.
Torrential rains are forecast to hit both coastal and
inland areas of Fujian, a neighbouring province of Zhejiang,
with rainfall of more than 300 mm in some coastal regions from
Tuesday to Friday.
Also, all ships and fishing boats in the sea off Fujian
and Zhejiang have been advised to take shelter from storms.
The Fujian provincial meteorological station said the two
tropical storms and the tropical low pressure system might
merge, causing unpredictable weather condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical