17,000 troops to be deployed for securing London Olympics
London: Nearly 17,000 British troops will be deployed for the upcoming Olympics to back up a grand security arrangement that includes surface-to-air missiles on rooftops amidst concerns of an al-Qaeda threat.
In a last minute manoeuvre, "the military has been asked to provide up to 3,500 extra troops to guard the London Olympics, amid concerns that private security firm G4S will be unable to deliver the number of staff it promised", The Guardian newspaper reported today.
It said ministers have been forced into the "last-ditch move" only a fortnight before the Games because they are concerned that the private firm cannot guarantee it will be able to supply the 13,700 guards it was contracted to deliver.
"The army will provide an insurance policy," an unnamed source was quoted as saying by the daily.
The armed forces are already providing up to 13,500 personnel for the Games ? split between the venues and back-up for police. Under the contingency plans, this could reach 16,500 ? 7,000 more than are being deployed in Afghanistan, it said.
Among the other security arrangements, the navy`s biggest warship, HMS Ocean, will be stationed in the Thames and four Typhoon fighter jets will be on standby at RAF Northolt in Middlesex. Armed Puma helicopters will also be on standby.
G4S said it had 4,000 staff in venues and more than 20,000 in training. A spokesman for G4S said that issues over "scheduling and deployment" were being dealt with.
"Our programme to train and deploy our security workforce for the 2012 Games is continuing and has stepped up in the past few weeks," said the spokesman. "Issues we have faced over scheduling and deployment are being worked out and we are continuing to work hard to get a robust workforce in place for the start of the Games," he was quoted as saying by the daily.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Watch Video: BlackBerry DTEK50, the world's most secured Android smartphone
- Unbelievable: Thousands throng daily at Taiwan McDonald's store to see a girl – Know why
- Kusal Mendis inspires Sri Lanka to a 196-run lead over Australia on a topsy-turvy 3rd day
- Former BJP MP Navjot Singh Sidhu to join AAP on August 15?
- Bank employees to go on strike on Friday, services to be hit