18 dead in Sudan raid, UN seeks to calm tension
Juba: A cross-border attack by Sudanese troops on a military base killed 18 fighters, South Sudan`s
army charged, as the UN Security Council sought ways to end
spiralling violence between the two states.
Relations between Sudan and its newly-independent
southern neighbour have deteriorated sharply this week, due to
fighting either side of the new international frontier that
has prompted an angry exchange of accusations.
Susan Rice, the US ambassador to the United Nations,
said the Security Council was discussing ways "we might
prevail on the parties to de-escalate, return to the
negotiating table and solve critical issues that divide them."
The Sudan People`s Liberation Army (SPLA) reported a
ground attack in Upper Nile state on Thursday, when the
northern army also bombed Yida refugee camp in nearby Unity
state and another site in Upper Nile.
"There has been fighting in Kuek after an attack on
our base by Sudanese armed forces (SAF) and mercenaries" that
started at 9:00 am (0600 GMT) on Thursday and lasted seven
hours, SPLA spokesman Philip Aguer said.
"On our side, five were killed and 26 were wounded,
and on the side of the attackers, 13 bodies were counted on
the ground and they have 47 wounded," Aguer said, claiming the
assailants used mortars, AK-47 assault rifles and heavy
Aguer said the attackers had been driven back across
the border, but added that more incursions were expected in
South Sudan`s oil-producing region.
Sudanese officials rejected the accusations against
"There is no aerial bombardment, we did not exercise
any kind of military activity outside our borders," Sudan`s UN
envoy Daffa-Alla Elhag Ali Osman told reporters after the
Security Council meeting in New York.
His claims were dismissed by Rice, who said the
Khartoum envoy had "blatantly lied" to the Council.
But Osman`s account of events was echoed by Sudan`s
foreign ministry spokesman Al-Obeid Merwah, who said the army
had no intention of following the northern branch of the SPLA
into South Sudan.
"We are asking the international community to exert
more pressure on the government of South Sudan to withdraw
their SPLA troops, which are fighting in Blue Nile and South
Kordofan, to South Sudan and disarm them," Merwah said.
SAF Army spokesman Sawarmi Khaled Saad was quoted by
official Sudanese media as saying that international
condemnation, especially from the UN refugee agency (UNHCR)
and the United States, was based on false information.
UN peacekeeping chief Herve Ladsous told the Security
Council meeting that the UN mission in South Sudan had
confirmed information about Sudanese forces dropping "at least
two bombs near the Yida refugee camp," one of which landed
close to a school.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in