18 escape from Ecuadorian prison
Quito: At least 18 inmates escaped from a maximum-security prison in the coastal city of Guayaquil, Ecuadorian authorities said.
The Justice Ministry said on Twitter that the escape from the penitentiary known as La Roca "is being investigated".
"There are no dead or wounded in the jailbreak...," the ministry said, though several media outlets have warned that the number is likely to be between 18 and 20.
The ministry denied that drug trafficker Oscar Caranqui was among the escaped convicts, but said that at the moment inmates with ties to the criminal gang called Los Choneros are being investigated.
It also said that currently underway is a joint operation of elite police and military units that have cordoned off La Roca.
At the same time, the Justice Ministry gave assurances that "security has been strengthened" at all prisons in Ecuador.
La Roca, a modern detention center that up to now has been considered the most secure in the country, holds a number of Ecuador`s most dangerous criminals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’