18 escape from Ecuadorian prison
Quito: At least 18 inmates escaped from a maximum-security prison in the coastal city of Guayaquil, Ecuadorian authorities said.
The Justice Ministry said on Twitter that the escape from the penitentiary known as La Roca "is being investigated".
"There are no dead or wounded in the jailbreak...," the ministry said, though several media outlets have warned that the number is likely to be between 18 and 20.
The ministry denied that drug trafficker Oscar Caranqui was among the escaped convicts, but said that at the moment inmates with ties to the criminal gang called Los Choneros are being investigated.
It also said that currently underway is a joint operation of elite police and military units that have cordoned off La Roca.
At the same time, the Justice Ministry gave assurances that "security has been strengthened" at all prisons in Ecuador.
La Roca, a modern detention center that up to now has been considered the most secure in the country, holds a number of Ecuador`s most dangerous criminals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre