18 killed in road accident in Thailand
Bangkok: At least 18 people, including 6 women, were killed today when a pickup truck skidded off the road and crashed into a tree in northeastern Thailand.
The truck, carrying 23 construction workers, was heading to Ubon Ratchathani when it veered off the road in Ban Dan district in Buriram province, about 400 kilometres from here.
Bodies were scattered on the ground outside the vehicle, while some were trapped inside the twisted wreckage, police said.
The 24-year-old driver was among the dead.
It was suspected the driver fell asleep on the straight road.
Police found a methamphetamine tablet in his clothing and a bottle of alcoholic beverage in the pocket of the driver`s door.
The rest were seriously injured.
Many of the people had no ID documents on them and were thought to have come from Laos.
Witnesses said the driver appeared to lose control and the vehicle veered off the road and continued for about 100 metres before ramming into a tree.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’