18 killed in road accident in Thailand
Bangkok: At least 18 people, including 6 women, were killed today when a pickup truck skidded off the road and crashed into a tree in northeastern Thailand.
The truck, carrying 23 construction workers, was heading to Ubon Ratchathani when it veered off the road in Ban Dan district in Buriram province, about 400 kilometres from here.
Bodies were scattered on the ground outside the vehicle, while some were trapped inside the twisted wreckage, police said.
The 24-year-old driver was among the dead.
It was suspected the driver fell asleep on the straight road.
Police found a methamphetamine tablet in his clothing and a bottle of alcoholic beverage in the pocket of the driver`s door.
The rest were seriously injured.
Many of the people had no ID documents on them and were thought to have come from Laos.
Witnesses said the driver appeared to lose control and the vehicle veered off the road and continued for about 100 metres before ramming into a tree.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes