18 killed in road accident in Thailand
Bangkok: At least 18 people, including 6 women, were killed today when a pickup truck skidded off the road and crashed into a tree in northeastern Thailand.
The truck, carrying 23 construction workers, was heading to Ubon Ratchathani when it veered off the road in Ban Dan district in Buriram province, about 400 kilometres from here.
Bodies were scattered on the ground outside the vehicle, while some were trapped inside the twisted wreckage, police said.
The 24-year-old driver was among the dead.
It was suspected the driver fell asleep on the straight road.
Police found a methamphetamine tablet in his clothing and a bottle of alcoholic beverage in the pocket of the driver`s door.
The rest were seriously injured.
Many of the people had no ID documents on them and were thought to have come from Laos.
Witnesses said the driver appeared to lose control and the vehicle veered off the road and continued for about 100 metres before ramming into a tree.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred