18 mourners killed in Indonesia road collision
Surabaya (Indonesia): Indonesian police say an overcrowded pickup van with dozens of mourners has slammed into a truck on the main island of Java, killing 18 people and injuring 14 others.
Police officer Capt. Mustofa says the pickup was carrying a group of 29 mourners from East Java`s Probolinggo town who were on their way to pay respects to their relative.
He said today the vehicle was moving uncontrollably and collided with a trailer truck.
The occupants were thrown from the pickup and 15, including two children, died instantly. The others died in the hospital.
Mustofa, who like many Indonesians uses a single name, said the driver of the pickup was arrested for reckless driving.
Road accidents are common in Indonesia, where safety standards are poor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Space X Dragon successfully splashes down in Pacific Ocean with crucial NASA research samples
- Good news! Shahid Kapoor and wifey Mira Rajput blessed with a baby girl
- Obama establishes world`s largest marine reserve in Hawaii
- Canadian twins plead guilty to terrorism, face jail time
- Apple issues update after cyber weapon captured