18 mourners killed in Indonesia road collision
Surabaya (Indonesia): Indonesian police say an overcrowded pickup van with dozens of mourners has slammed into a truck on the main island of Java, killing 18 people and injuring 14 others.
Police officer Capt. Mustofa says the pickup was carrying a group of 29 mourners from East Java`s Probolinggo town who were on their way to pay respects to their relative.
He said today the vehicle was moving uncontrollably and collided with a trailer truck.
The occupants were thrown from the pickup and 15, including two children, died instantly. The others died in the hospital.
Mustofa, who like many Indonesians uses a single name, said the driver of the pickup was arrested for reckless driving.
Road accidents are common in Indonesia, where safety standards are poor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Kashmir violence: Avoid using pellet guns against protesters as far as possible, Rajnath Singh tells security forces
- Pakistan spinner Mohammad Hafeez to undergo retest on modified bowling action
- Elderly woman found murdered in Delhi
- IAF's mising AN-32 transporter: Satellites provide pointers, but no signs of aircraft yet
- Harsimrat writes to RS chairman for action on Jairam, Renuka