18 mourners killed in Indonesia road collision
Surabaya (Indonesia): Indonesian police say an overcrowded pickup van with dozens of mourners has slammed into a truck on the main island of Java, killing 18 people and injuring 14 others.
Police officer Capt. Mustofa says the pickup was carrying a group of 29 mourners from East Java`s Probolinggo town who were on their way to pay respects to their relative.
He said today the vehicle was moving uncontrollably and collided with a trailer truck.
The occupants were thrown from the pickup and 15, including two children, died instantly. The others died in the hospital.
Mustofa, who like many Indonesians uses a single name, said the driver of the pickup was arrested for reckless driving.
Road accidents are common in Indonesia, where safety standards are poor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price