18 sailors released by pirates arrive in Istanbul
Istanbul: The leaders of Georgia and Turkey
have welcomed 15 Georgian and three Turkish sailors who were
released more than a year after their Greek-owned ship was
captured by Somali pirates.
Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili and Turkish Prime
Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan greeted the 18 sailors at
Istanbul`s Ataturk Airport on Friday. They were released on
The crew were taking the ship Olib from Egypt to India
when it was captured by pirates on September 8, 2010. The
ship, which was sailing under a Maltese flag, was to be
scrapped in India.
The leaders said Georgia and Turkey were involved in
"joint efforts" and diplomatic negotiations that secured the
It was not clear if any ransom was paid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt