19 killed in attacks in northern Nigeria
Abuja: Nineteen people were killed over the weekend in Nigeria`s northern state of Kaduna where gunmen attacked two villages of a local community, officials said.
The chairman of the local government, Kumai Badu confirmed the attack on the Ataka community in Kaura local government area alleging that the assailants who came with guns were from neighbouring villages.
"19 people were killed while 10 others were critically injured in Mafang and Zilang villages," he said.
The official said the attackers burnt almost all houses in the two villages forcing those alive to flee their homes.
The police spokesman for Kaduna state, Aminu Lawal, also confirmed the attacks, saying they happened between late Saturday and the early hours of yesterday.
Kaduna state is close to Plateau state where the Fulani ethnic group is engaged in a conflict with other groups resulting in deadly attacks and reprisals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days