19 killed in attacks in northern Nigeria
Abuja: Nineteen people were killed over the weekend in Nigeria`s northern state of Kaduna where gunmen attacked two villages of a local community, officials said.
The chairman of the local government, Kumai Badu confirmed the attack on the Ataka community in Kaura local government area alleging that the assailants who came with guns were from neighbouring villages.
"19 people were killed while 10 others were critically injured in Mafang and Zilang villages," he said.
The official said the attackers burnt almost all houses in the two villages forcing those alive to flee their homes.
The police spokesman for Kaduna state, Aminu Lawal, also confirmed the attacks, saying they happened between late Saturday and the early hours of yesterday.
Kaduna state is close to Plateau state where the Fulani ethnic group is engaged in a conflict with other groups resulting in deadly attacks and reprisals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song