198 convicted for Xinjiang unrest: Chinese official
Beijing: China has so far convicted 198
people linked to the bloody ethnic riots last July in its
troubled Xinjiang region, a top official said on Sunday, warning
that final figure will be more.
Nur Berkri, chairman of the Xinjiang Uygur autonomous
regional government, said 198 people have been convicted for
involvement in the deadly riots between native Uyghurs and
Hans Chinese eight months ago in the northwest Xinjiang Uygur
autonomous region. The senior local official said the
"secessionists" movement may turn more violent.
"The investigation, prosecution and trial are still
going on, and the final figure of the people sentenced will be
more than that," Berkri told a press conference on the
sidelines of the annual session of the National People`s
Congress (NPC), the country`s top legislature.
He refused to give details of the number sentenced to
death or how many had been executed.
The riot in the Xinjiang regional capital of Urumqi on
July 5, 2009 left 197 people dead and more than 1,700 injured
in the clashes between Uyghur Muslims and Han Chinese.
Berkri said it demonstrated that the struggle against
secession in Xinjiang will be long-drawn, complicated and
Berkri underlined that a few secessionists are
reluctant to allow people of all ethnic groups in Xinjiang to
live a happy life....and they do everything possible to
sabotage ethnic relations, distort Xinjiang`s history, and
advocate their ideas of secession.
"We believe they will become more violent after the
July 5 riot and will launch new attacks. But no matter what
methods they use, they are doomed to failure," official Xinhua
news agency quoted him as saying.
"Any criminal activity that undermines social order
and damages people`s life and property will be punished by
law," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks