2 freed in probe into kidnapping of British boy
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Thursday, March 18, 2010, 23:42
  
Paris: Paris police have freed two suspects detained in the probe into the kidnapping of a 5-year-old British boy in Pakistan, a police official said on Thursday.

The suspects, a father and son, were related to two people who collected the ransom paid for the boy in Paris, but were found to have no links to the crime, the official said. The official was not authorised to be named because of police policy.

The suspects were detained in the Paris suburb of Bobigny on Tuesday and released yesterday.

The child, Sahil Saeed, was released Tuesday, almost two weeks after being abducted from his grandparents' house in central Pakistan. The boy, of Pakistani origin, is expected to return to his home in Manchester later today.

Police started trailing the two suspected ransom-collectors in Paris, and monitored them as they collected money from the kidnapped boy's uncle in a McDonald's restaurant on the landmark Place de la Republique, the official said.

The suspects, a Romanian couple, then went to visit their relatives in Bobigny before driving south to Spain, the official said. French police trailed the two to the border then alerted Spanish colleagues, the official said.

After police got word Tuesday that the boy had been released, the suspects and one other were arrested in the town of Constanti, in Spain's Catalonia region, according to Spanish national police.

PTI


First Published: Thursday, March 18, 2010, 23:42


comments powered by Disqus