2 killed; 20 injured in fire at a Chinese building
Beijing: Two people were killed and 20 others injured after a fire engulfed a commercial building in northwest China`s Shaanxi Province on Saturday.
Two bodies had been retrieved by firefighters but the victims` identities were yet to be identified, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The fire broke out in the multi-storey World Trade Building in the city`s downtown. The number of injured rose to 20 and all are in a stable condition, it said.
Three of the 20 injured people were staff members of a hotel located on the upper floors of the building while the rest were all guests, said Liu Guangzhong, deputy head of the hospital.
The ages of the injured people range from 7 to 51.
Twelve of them suffered from burns and the other eight had minor carbon monoxide poisoning, Liu said.
About 50 people staying at the hotel in the building were evacuated.
One of the security guards who helped in the evacuation remains missing, said Jia Xueqi, an officer with the city`s fire department.
More than 460 firemen and police brought the fire under control, Jia said.
About 1,700 residents living next to the building have been evacuated so far, Jia added.
The cause of the fire is being investigated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- Ravindra Jadeja: Indian all-rounder to get engaged today