2 killed, 7.70 lakh people affected by heavy snow
Beijing: Two people were killed and 7.70 lakh people affected as temperatures in northern China have dipped to their lowest in last 32-year, state media said Sunday.
Heavy snowfall affected 917,000 square kilometres, or 78 per cent, of Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, with 82,000 square km buried in snow at least 25-centimetres deep, said the regional meteorological authority.
More than 3,700 residents have been relocated and 2.60 lakh others are in need of emergency aid, officials the region`s civil affairs department told state-run Xinhua news agency.
By January 4, snow had left about 1.80 lakh livestock dead, with direct economic loss estimated at 690 million yuan (USD 110 million), the report said.
Civil affairs authorities have earmarked disaster relief funds that will be allocated to those affected by adverse weather conditions ahead of the Spring Festival, which falls on February 10 this year.
North China experienced its coldest winter in 42 years, with temperatures hitting minus 7.4 degrees Celsius, 2.4 degrees lower than the average level in previous years.
Temperatures in north China are expected to pick up next week, although much of south China will continue to experience cloudy skies, rain and snow, the CMA`s National Meteorological Center said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Amitabh clears air about NDA's 2-year anniversary event, says only hosting segment on girl child campaign
- 'Banjo' motion poster: Watch the brilliant backdrop flavoured with powerful Indian beats!
- Five brilliant tips on age management!
- World's 60 million refugees need 2.78 mn surgeries a year
- PM Modi congratulates Mamata on her second innings as West Bengal CM