2 plead not guilty in NY subway bomb plot case
Two high school classmates of admitted terrorist plotter Najibullah Zazi pleaded not guilty today in a foiled plot to bomb New York City subways in the days after the eighth anniversary of the September 11 attacks.
New York: Two high school classmates of
admitted terrorist plotter Najibullah Zazi pleaded not guilty
today in a foiled plot to bomb New York City subways in the
days after the eighth anniversary of the September 11 attacks.
Zarein Ahmedzay and Adis Medunjanin, both 25, were
indicted on charges of conspiracy to use weapons of mass
destruction, conspiracy to commit murder in a foreign country
and providing material support to the al-Qaida terrorist
Ahmedzay and Medunjanin, who is a Bosnian immigrant,
appeared in Brooklyn federal court later today morning. The
two went to high school with Zazi in New York.
Zazi, an Afghan immigrant and former Colorado air
shuttle driver who aroused authorities` attention when he
drove cross-country from Denver to New York last fall, pleaded
guilty to similar charges this week.
Authorities have told The Associated Press he is
cooperating with investigators.
"The facts alleged in this indictment shed further
light on the scope of this attempted attack and underscore the
importance of using every tool we have available to both
disrupt plots against our nation and hold suspected terrorists
accountable," Attorney General Eric Holder said in a
"This attack would have been deadly."
Medunjanin and Ahmedzay, who authorities say
travelled to Pakistan with Zazi in 2008 had already faced
charges in the alleged plot to set off homemade bombs on
Manhattan subway lines.