2 scribes from tabloid `Sun` charged in Britain
London: Two journalists from the Sun tabloid in Britain were charged here on Friday over a conspiracy to pay more than 30,000 pounds to public officials, including police officers and army personnel, for unauthorised leaks.
Two journalists and a picture editor from the British tabloid alongside a former healthcare assistant at the high security Broadmoor Hospital were charged with conspiring to commit misconduct in public office, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said.
Gregor McGill, a senior lawyer, said the Sun allegedly paid for information related to the heath and activities of Broadmoor patients, the work of a member of the royal family and details of on going police investigation.
The three, who were arrested under Scotland Yard`s Operation Elveden investigation, will appear before Westminster Magistrates` court on July 18.
McGill said, "In relation to the specific allegations in this case, it is alleged that over a period of almost nine years the Sun newspaper made payments totalling more than 30,000 pounds to public officials including police officers, army personnel and Broadmoor officials, in exchange for information."
"It is alleged that the information for which the Sun made payments included that relating to the health and activities of Broadmoor patients, details about the work of a member of the royal family and details of on going police investigations," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?