Bamako: Islamic militants on Friday stormed the upmarket Radisson Blu Hotel in Mali's capital Bamako, killing three people and holding some 170 people hostage. A source in Bamako told Zee Media that 20 Indians are trapped in a LG store in the hotel premises. However it is yet to be officially confirmed.
Here are the 10 developments:
1) The siege began early in the morning with gunmen forcing their way into the Radisson Blu Hotel shouting "God is great" and armed with guns and throwing grenades.
2) The number of attackers vary from two to 13.
3) The militants took 140 guests and 30 hotel staff hostage.
4) A large number of foreigners, including Turkish, French, Indian, Chinese and Guinean citizens were in the hotel at the time of the attack.
5) India's External Affairs Ministry is reportedly in touch with the Indians and monitoring the situation closely.
6) So far, 80 hostages have been freed, said a report.
7) Those freed include three Turkish Airlines staff, 12 Air France staff and Guinean singer Sekouba Bambino.
8) Three people, two Malian nationals and 1 French national, were killed by the militants, said a report.
9) Malian soldiers stormed the hotel.
10) Mali's president cut short his visit to Chad.