200 war criminals wander on British streets
London: There are over 200 suspected war criminals roaming around the streets of Britain, statistics have revealed.
The authorities, however, cannot send back these people, some of the responsible for atrocities such as mass murder and rape, to their home countries because of EU human rights laws, The Sun reported.
These fugitives -- many of them asylum seekers -- are mainly from Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Iraq, Rwanda, Sierra Leone and Zimbabwe.
The UK Border Agency has recommended action against 207 suspects in last 18 months. Only 12 have been deported.
Campaigners are calling on Scotland Yard for setting up a war crimes unit after the figures have been released under Freedom of Information rules.
London-based pressure group Redress has said more robust action is required to stop war criminals "treating the UK as a safe haven".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- SHOCKING! Star wrestler Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio participation doubtful
- What Diljit Dosanjh said about 'Phillauri' co-star Anushka Sharma will melt your heart! - Read here
- DDA's next housing scheme could be completely online
- Now tune into popular FM radio stations on trains with Rail Radio Service
- MCI could be dead; new body may nurse medical education in India