200-yr-old ban on women wearing trousers lifted in Paris
Paris: Women can finally now wear trousers in Paris as the government has lifted a more than 200-year-old ban that forbid women to wear trousers in Paris on Monday.
On January 31, Najat Vallaud-Belkacem, France’s minister of women’s rights, made it officially impossible to arrest a woman for wearing trousers in the French capital, the Telegraph reported.
The law required women to ask police for special permission to “dress as men” in Paris, or risk being taken into custody.
In 1892 and 1909 the rule was amended to allow women to wear trousers, “if the woman is holding a bicycle handlebar or the reins of a horse.”
The law was kept in place until now, despite repeated attempts to repeal it, in part because officials said the unenforced rule was not a priority, and part of French “legal archaeology.”
In July however, in a public request directed at Vallaud-Belkacem, Alain Houpert, a senator and member of the conservative UMP party, said that the “symbolic importance” of the law “could injure our modern sensibilities,” and he asked the minister to repeal it.
Vallaud-Belkacem agreed, and in a published statement on Jan. 31st wrote: “This ordinance is incompatible with the principles of equality between women and men, which are listed in the Constitution, and in France’s European commitments. From that incompatibility follows the implicit abrogation of the ordinance.”
The restriction focused on Paris because French Revolutionary rebels in the capital said that they wore trousers, as opposed to the knee-breeches, or the “culottes,” of the bourgeoisie, in what was coined the “sans-culottes” movement.
Women rebels in the movement demanded the right to wear trousers as well, but were forbidden to do so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video