2,000-year-old remains of child abuse victim found in Egypt
London: The remains of a child, believed to be 2-3 years old and who lived in Egypt around 2,000 years ago, have revealed her to be the sufferer of child abuse and she could very well be the first such case in history, archaeologists say.
The remains, known only as "Burial 159", show signs of the child having her bones broken repeatedly, and being shaken repeatedly, the Daily Mail reported.
Experts say the case may stem from an ancient Egyptian belief that children had to be "toughened up" as they grow.
The discovery was made by researchers at a cemetery in Dakhleh Oasis.
Sandra Wheeler, a bio-archaeologist at the University of Central Florida who led the team, said researchers found a number of bone fractures throughout the body, including the forearm, ribs, pelvis and back.
One fracture on the child`s upper arms was in the same spot on each arm, and showed a break all the way through - which experts say would require a large force.
The researchers believe that someone grabbed the child`s arms and used them as handles to shake the child violently.
The archaeologists are not sure what ultimately killed the toddler. The research will be published in an upcoming issue of the International Journal of Paleopathology.
The Dakhleh Oasis is one of seven oases in Egypt`s Western Desert. The site has seen continuous human occupation since the Neolithic period, making it the focus of several archaeological investigations, said Wheeler.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India