2012 White House race `nastiest` ever: McCain
Washington: The Republican campaign to choose a candidate to take on President Barack Obama in November is "the nastiest" ever, presidential campaign veteran John McCain said on Sunday.
McCain should know as he was the target of a barrage of destructive rumours himself in his losing 2000 campaign against George Bush to become the Republican presidential candidate.
In an interview with NBC`s "Meet the Press”, he blamed the mudslinging on the so-called "super PACs”, which can raise and spend unlimited sums in support of a candidate so long as their campaign activities are not directly coordinated.
"The super PACs have played a key role, unfortunately in my view, because most are negative ads, (have) driven up unfavourables of all the candidates and made it much more difficult to win the election," McCain told NBC television`s
"Meet the Press”.
He called the US Supreme Court decision that made super PACs possible in 2010 "the worst decision the United States Supreme Court has made in many years”, saying it was the outcome of "naivety and sheer ignorance”.
"This is the nastiest (campaign) I have ever seen," McCain added.
McCain has endorsed former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, who is battling former senator Rick Santorum, former House speaker Newt Gingrich and Texas congressman Ron Paul for their party`s nomination.
During the 2000 Republican primary, McCain was the target of damaging rumours that he had fathered a black child out of wedlock. His adopted daughter Bridget is from Bangladesh.
Other rumours suggested the Arizona senator was unstable as a result of being tortured while a prisoner of war in Vietnam, and that his wife Cindy was a drug addict.
Although McCain lost the nomination fight to Bush, he went on to win it in 2008, only to lose the Presidential Elections to Obama. (AFP)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list