2016 US presidential aspirants need `head examined`: Jindal
Washington: Indian-American Governor of Louisiana Bobby Jindal has said Republicans thinking about the 2016 presidential race need to get their "head examined" as the party must win the "debate of ideas" after losing two consecutive bids to the White House.
"Anybody on the Republican side even thinking or talking about running for president in 2016, I`ve said needs to get their head examined and the reason I say that is we`ve lost two presidential elections in a row. We need to be winning the debate of ideas then we`ll win elections," Jindal said on Fox News`s `Fox & Friends`.
"The country doesn`t need four years of nonstop presidential we just inaugurated a new term of this president`s second term."
41-year-old Jindal, often mentioned as a 2016 contender, said last month in a speech at the Republican National Committee`s meeting in Charlotte that the GOP needed to "stop being the stupid party".
He reiterated those sentiments during the interview and said that Republicans need to rethink how they`re talking to Americans.
"A majority of American voters think that the government is trying to do too much. They want smaller government yet they still voted for President Obama that means we`re not winning the conversation. We`re not presenting our ideas. We`re not in that debate as well as we should be," he said.
He continued: "If Ronald Reagan were alive today, if he were running for office today this is what he would say about that poor person on food stamps or welfare or signing up for unemployment.
He`d say, `This poor woman wants a better quality of life for herself and for her children.` He would honour the dignity of that person and say, `I can provide her a better economic future by putting in place policies that actually work.` We need to be having that kind of debate."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof