21 al Qaeda militants killed in south Yemen
Sanaa: Yemeni government troops killed 21 al Qaeda fighters in the latest clashes in the country`s south, military officials said on Saturday, while Washington commended Yemen for successfully routing militants from some strategic southern strongholds.
The military officials said 17 militants died in fighting that raged until early morning around Azan town in southern Shabwa province. Six soldiers were wounded in those clashes, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with military regulations.
Four other militants and one soldier died in fighting today in the Hassan valley area in the adjoining Abyan province, the officials also said. The valley is located east of the provincial capital of Zinjibar, which al-Qaida captured last year and held until recently along with several other towns in Abyan.
Al Qaeda`s fighters took advantage of a security vacuum last year during a popular uprising that ousted Yemen`s longtime leader, Ali Abdullah Saleh, to seize swaths of territory in the strategic south. That raised fears it could use the area as a foothold to launch more attacks on US targets.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India