21 killed in series of shootouts in Mexico
Morelia: Mexican authorities say at least 21
people have been killed in three shootouts between soldiers
and gunmen and a fight between rival drug gangs.
At least 15 deaths occurred in three gunbattles in the
western state of Michoacan yesterday, said the spokesman for
state prosecutors, Jonathan Arredondo.
He said 10 gunmen were killed in a shootout with an army
patrol that was attacked in the township of Patzcuaro, an area
of Michoacan popular with tourists. Five other people died in
two smaller confrontations in Michoacan, and one federal
police officer was wounded.
Michoacan is the state where President Felipe Calderon
launched his armed offensive against organised crime in 2006.
The state holds gubernatorial elections November 13.
Much of the state`s violence has been attributed to a
pseudo-religious drug cartel known as La Familia and more
recently to an offshoot gang, The Knights Templar.
In the northern state of Sinaloa, six people were killed
Friday during a shootout between two groups of armed men on a
highway in the town of Guamuchil, assistant state prosecutor
Martin Robles said.
All six dead were taken to a funeral home, and gunmen
later burst into the facility and carried away three bodies.
The other three victims were apparently passers-by caught in
the crossfire, Robles said.
Sinaloa is considered the home of the drug cartel of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez