21 killed in series of shootouts in Mexico
Morelia: Mexican authorities say at least 21
people have been killed in three shootouts between soldiers
and gunmen and a fight between rival drug gangs.
At least 15 deaths occurred in three gunbattles in the
western state of Michoacan yesterday, said the spokesman for
state prosecutors, Jonathan Arredondo.
He said 10 gunmen were killed in a shootout with an army
patrol that was attacked in the township of Patzcuaro, an area
of Michoacan popular with tourists. Five other people died in
two smaller confrontations in Michoacan, and one federal
police officer was wounded.
Michoacan is the state where President Felipe Calderon
launched his armed offensive against organised crime in 2006.
The state holds gubernatorial elections November 13.
Much of the state`s violence has been attributed to a
pseudo-religious drug cartel known as La Familia and more
recently to an offshoot gang, The Knights Templar.
In the northern state of Sinaloa, six people were killed
Friday during a shootout between two groups of armed men on a
highway in the town of Guamuchil, assistant state prosecutor
Martin Robles said.
All six dead were taken to a funeral home, and gunmen
later burst into the facility and carried away three bodies.
The other three victims were apparently passers-by caught in
the crossfire, Robles said.
Sinaloa is considered the home of the drug cartel of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!