22-yr-old charged in US community college shooting
Houston: US police has reportedly charged a 22-year-old man in the shootout in Houston-area community college on Tuesday in which three people were reportedly injured.
The shooting was a result of a clash between two people and the accused Carlton Berry, 22, has been charged with aggravated assault in the shooting, according to a sheriff`s office statement on late Tuesday, as per agency report.
The shooting happened outside between an academic building and the library where Luis Resendiz, 22, was studying on the second floor. An employee called police and then herded the 30 to 40 people in the library into a small room and told them to crouch down, he said.
Authorities offered no details about what led to the fight. One of the people involved had a student ID, and both people were wounded and hospitalized, Harris County Sheriff`s Maj. Armando Tello said. A fourth person also was taken to a hospital for a medical condition, he said.
Mark Zaragosa said he had just come out of an EMT class when he saw two people who were injured and stopped to help them.
"The two people that I took care of had just minor injuries," he told KHOU-TV. "One gentleman had a gunshot to the knee, and the (other) actually had an entry wound to the lower buttocks area."
Some portions of campus are being evacuated, and other students are being instructed to rush to shelter in place.
The shooting last month at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., heightened security concerns at campuses across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray