23 killed in Egypt`s tribal clashes
Cairo: At least 23 people were killed and more than 30 others injured in overnight tribal clashes in upper Egypt`s Aswan province, official MENA news agency reported Saturday.
The overnight gunfight erupted Friday evening and renewed early Saturday morning between two big tribes, Bani Helal Tribe (Halayla) and Nubian Daboudiya Tribe, in eastern Aswan, according to Xinhua.
The clash dated back to Wednesday, when a group of school boys from one tribe harassed and flirted with a girl from the other, which later led to minor fighting between the two sides that escalated to the involving of the big families.
The gunfight renewed early morning Saturday when the Nubian tribe set fire on several houses of their opponents, causing a bloodbath and turmoil at their Al-Sayl al-Rifi village. Most of the victims were from Bani Helal.
Witnesses said that the fighting families used machine guns and Molotov cocktails during, while security forces fired tear gas to disperse them, noting it was impossible for ambulances to reach the scene as the two families were firing excessively.
In reaction, Interim Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab and Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim headed to Aswan Saturday and met with leading members of the tribes to contain the situation.
In the meeting held at Aswan governorate headquarters, Nubian leading figures requested a curfew and a tight security cordon to be imposed on the village to avoid further confrontations.
Aswan Governor Mostafa Yousry held an emergency meeting with security and military officials, as well as members of syndicates and popular figures, to discuss methods of containing the ongoing strife between the two tribes.
Following the meeting, Yousry decided to close 17 schools in the village until further notice.
Military spokesperson Colonel Ahmed Ali said Saturday that the newly-appointed Defence Minister Sedki Sobhi approved treatment of the injured people at military hospitals.
Security forces have been deployed in the area to prevent further skirmishes between the two sides, evacuate the nearby houses for the safety of their residents and close the village`s biggest marketplace.
Traditionally most of the big tribes in southern Egypt own weapons and solve disputes without involving the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks