23 killed in Kenya minibus crash: Official
Nairobi: A police official says 23 passengers were killed after their minibus lost control, hit the barrier of a bridge and rolled over rocks in central Kenya.
National police spokesman Eric Kiraithe said Sunday the driver of the minibus may have fallen asleep before the crash late Saturday. The crash happened nearly 90 miles (about 140 kilometers) east of the capital, Nairobi.
Kiraithe says 15 passengers traveling to the town of Makueni were seriously injured and were taken to a local hospital for treatment. Regional police chief Marcus Ochola says the passengers were traveling together after negotiating dowry before a wedding.
Road crashes are common in Kenya and are often blamed on reckless driving and the poor state of the roads in the East African nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Scientists produce rare wood bison calves through IVF
- Munich pulls together after shopping mall shooting
- West Indies legend Vivian Richards hails Virat Kohli's 'magnificent' innings
- Indian aid worker Judith D'Souza rescued from captors in Afghanistan returns home
- 80 killed, over 200 injured in twin suicide bomb attacks on Kabul protesters; Islamic State claims responsibility