25 injured as Hong Kong-bound jet hits turbulence
Hong Kong: Twenty-five people were injured when a passenger jet from South Africa to Hong Kong hit turbulence today, police said, with two men seriously hurt and hospitalised in the southern Chinese city.
Local television images showed ambulances on the tarmac at Hong Kong`s airport taking away the injured, who were on a South African Airways jet from Johannesburg which landed at around 12:30 pm (0430 GMT).
Hong Kong airport authorities said they were notified by the plane`s captain at 11:00 am that they would need help from emergency services when they came into land.
"There was a plane that flew in from South Africa that saw multiple passengers injured when it encountered turbulence," a police spokeswoman said.
Twelve men and 13 women were injured, police said, with two men seriously hurt. Details of their injuries were not immediately known.
South African Airways could not immediately comment when contacted by AFP but an online flight tracking system said the plane was a four-engined Airbus A340-300.
Authorities could not confirm the total number of passengers on board.
South African Airways is the country`s national carrier and one of the continent`s leading airlines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Overhaul Indian sports bodies and de-link from Political patronage to overcome Rio fiasco: CPI-M
- Fawad Khan has short yet pivotal role in 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil': Karan Johar
- Looks like it takes a lot of men to doll up Sunny Leone- See pic
- Lemon: An ideal ingredient for your glowing skin, good health
- 'Baar Baar Dekho' promotions: Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra stun with their chemistry on 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa'