25 killed by Islamist militants in Nigeria
Abuja: Suspected members of an Islamic fundamentalist group have killed 25 people in separate attacks in Nigeria`s two northern states of Adamawa and Borno.
Militants from the fundamentalist Islamic sect, Boko Haram, carried out an attack in Maiha local government area of Adamawa state on Friday, killing 20 people.
In the second incident, unknown gunmen invaded Musari area of Borno State in the wee hours of the morning and killed five people.
The Adamawa attack saw the terrorists invading offices and lodges of the Customs and private residents.
They set ablaze a divisional police headquarters and set free 35 inmates after Maiha prisons was attacked.
Police spokesman in Adamawa state, Mohammed Ibrahim, has confirmed the attacks.
"The attackers went away with various arms and ammunition from the police headquarters," he said.
The military spokesman in Borno state, Lt Col Sagir Musa, has also confirmed the attack in his state.
"Some terrorists sneaked into Musari, a village located on the outskirts of Maiduguri, and carried out the selective killings of five people including a serving Nigerian Police Traffic Warden," he said.
Radical sect Boko Haram wants to install an Islamic government in northern Nigeria where Muslims outnumbers Christians.
To forestall their ambition, the government of the oil-rich African country has set up a military Joint Task Force that battles them on a day-to-day basis.
They have killed thousands of people through suicide attacks, bombings and drive-by shootings since 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- WTO sees Brexit costing UK billions in trade tariffs: FT
- India business confidence dips to 5 month low in May
- 'Sultan's sherni Anushka Sharma heads to Patiala for 'Phillauri' shoot! – View pic
- Good rains to damp agricultural inflation, support Aug 9 RBI rate cut: BofA
- French Open: Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis pair advance to second round