25 killed by Islamist militants in Nigeria
Abuja: Suspected members of an Islamic fundamentalist group have killed 25 people in separate attacks in Nigeria`s two northern states of Adamawa and Borno.
Militants from the fundamentalist Islamic sect, Boko Haram, carried out an attack in Maiha local government area of Adamawa state on Friday, killing 20 people.
In the second incident, unknown gunmen invaded Musari area of Borno State in the wee hours of the morning and killed five people.
The Adamawa attack saw the terrorists invading offices and lodges of the Customs and private residents.
They set ablaze a divisional police headquarters and set free 35 inmates after Maiha prisons was attacked.
Police spokesman in Adamawa state, Mohammed Ibrahim, has confirmed the attacks.
"The attackers went away with various arms and ammunition from the police headquarters," he said.
The military spokesman in Borno state, Lt Col Sagir Musa, has also confirmed the attack in his state.
"Some terrorists sneaked into Musari, a village located on the outskirts of Maiduguri, and carried out the selective killings of five people including a serving Nigerian Police Traffic Warden," he said.
Radical sect Boko Haram wants to install an Islamic government in northern Nigeria where Muslims outnumbers Christians.
To forestall their ambition, the government of the oil-rich African country has set up a military Joint Task Force that battles them on a day-to-day basis.
They have killed thousands of people through suicide attacks, bombings and drive-by shootings since 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception