25 militants killed in Egypt`s Sinai
Cairo: At least 25 militants were killed Saturday during a military raid in Egypt`s North Sinai province, an official said.
The military raid started Friday afternoon in the city of Sheikh Zuweid near the Israeli border, the official told Xinhua.
According to the official, the militants belonged to the Sinai-based Al Qaeda inspired Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis group, which has claimed responsibility for a number of deadly terrorist attacks since the ouster of former President Mohamed Morsi last year.
"The massive military ground and air raid targeted the group`s hideouts in Sheikh Zuweid," said the source.
The raid came in response to the killing of two police and military officers by gunmen Friday.
Last week, militants killed 22 military officers at a checkpoint in Al-Wadi al-Gadid province, about 600 km southwest of the capital Cairo.
Extremist self-proclaimed Islamist groups which refer to Morsi`s overthrow as "a military coup" say their attacks were in retaliation for the harsh security crackdown on the major sit-ins of Morsi`s supporters in August 2013, which left at least 1,000 killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Shravan 2016: Today is the first Somwar - Know what you need to do
- Eight dead, 20 missing in Malaysia boat accident
- Sandeep Yadav – Narsingh Yadav's roommate, also fails doping test
- KSRTC, BMTC strike begins today; two-day holiday for schools declared
- Dinosaur species may shed new light on megaraptorids