25 people killed in Egypt building collapse
Cairo: At least 25 people were killed and 12 others injured when an eight-storey apartment building collapsed in Egypt`s coastal city of Alexandria on Wednesday, police said.
The building housing 24 families collapsed in the early hours in Al-Maamoura, a district located in the eastern part of the city.
Police arrested the two owners of the building.
Abdel-Aziz Tawfeeq, assistant interior minister, said rescue teams were continuing their search for survivors under the rubble of the building that collapsed.
Emergency teams have rescued two persons but more are trapped under debris.
The cause of the building`s collapse is yet to be established. But in the past violations of building specifications and poor maintenance have been blamed for similar accidents.
Mohammed Abbas Atta, governor of Alexandria, confirmed in an interview with Egypt`s official news that the building had been constructed five years ago without a permit.
Residents of Al-Maamoura had warned provincial authorities about an imminent collapse, citing complaints about sewage water that flooded their neighbourhood following days of heavy rainfall.
The incident highlights allegations of widespread corruption when it comes to regulating the housing sector in heavily populated areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days