26 injured in Argentine prison riot
Buenos Aires: At least 26 people were injured and an undetermined number of inmates managed to escape during a riot that erupted Tuesday in a prison in Argentina`s Chaco province, officials said.
Among the injured are 19 prisoners, three police officers and four prison guards.
The riot broke out at the Penitentiary Complex 2 in the town of Saenz Pena, some 1,000 km from Buenos Aires, late Monday and degenerated into a violent clash between prisoners and guards that lasted all night and required the intervention of provincial authorities.
Chaco Government Minister Juan Manuel Pedrini confirmed to the state-run Telam news agency that prison personnel had taken control of the facility and that "the situation is absolutely normal" after weapons in the hands of the prisoners were seized and several guards who had been taken hostage were rescued.
He also said that six inmates who had fled were recaptured but an unknown number still remain at large.
Pedrini went on to say that the riot originated in a wing of the prison housing some 60 prisoners, who took over various prison facilities and were able to free the inmates in other wings.
In all, authorities estimate that at least 200 prisoners, half the penitentiary`s population, participated in the riot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter