2,697-year jail term for Costa Concordia captain?
London: Francesco Schettino, the captain of the ill-fated Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia, could be sentenced to a cumulative total of over 2,500 years in prison if convicted of causing a shipwreck, abandoning ship and multiple counts of manslaughter.
According to Italian newspapers, Schettino could face an eight-year jail sentence for every one of the 300 passengers and crew he allegedly left on the crippled vessel when it ran aground off the Giglio island on the night of January 13.
It was claimed that Schettino, 52, escaped in a lifeboat and watched the rest of the evacuation from the shore.
He would face an additional 15 years in prison if convicted of manslaughter and another 10 years if found guilty of causing the shipwreck, The Telegraph reports.
Prosecutors of a court in Florence requested to have Schettino removed from house arrest at his home in Naples and returned to prison.
According to the report, prosecutors argued that there is a risk he could try to flee the country or interfere with evidence before his trial starts.
Defence lawyers, however, requested that Schettino should be released from house arrest and must be given bail.
Salvatore Parascandola, one of his lawyers, said there was no chance of Schettino reoffending.
“There is no possibility of him committing the crime again because at the moment there is no possibility of him being given command of a ship. We hope that the court will free him,” Parascandola said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read