27 killed in north Nigeria traffic crash: Police
Lagos: Police in northwest Nigeria say 27 people riding atop a truck carrying livestock have been killed when it tipped over and crashed.
Sokoto state police spokesman Sani Salisu said today that the crash happened yesterday when the truck took a corner too fast on a major road in the state.
Salisu said the truck had been heading to Nigeria`s Delta state in the nation`s oil-rich southern delta. He said some of those riding atop the truck survived the crash.
Hitchhikers in the north often ride atop the trucks carrying produce and livestock to the south.
Traffic crashes remain common in Nigeria, a nation with potholed highways and many speeding drivers.
The World Health Organisation has said Nigeria is the third worst country for traffic fatalities, after China and India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it