27 killed in north Nigeria traffic crash: Police
Lagos: Police in northwest Nigeria say 27 people riding atop a truck carrying livestock have been killed when it tipped over and crashed.
Sokoto state police spokesman Sani Salisu said today that the crash happened yesterday when the truck took a corner too fast on a major road in the state.
Salisu said the truck had been heading to Nigeria`s Delta state in the nation`s oil-rich southern delta. He said some of those riding atop the truck survived the crash.
Hitchhikers in the north often ride atop the trucks carrying produce and livestock to the south.
Traffic crashes remain common in Nigeria, a nation with potholed highways and many speeding drivers.
The World Health Organisation has said Nigeria is the third worst country for traffic fatalities, after China and India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened