27 killed in north Nigeria traffic crash: Police
Lagos: Police in northwest Nigeria say 27 people riding atop a truck carrying livestock have been killed when it tipped over and crashed.
Sokoto state police spokesman Sani Salisu said today that the crash happened yesterday when the truck took a corner too fast on a major road in the state.
Salisu said the truck had been heading to Nigeria`s Delta state in the nation`s oil-rich southern delta. He said some of those riding atop the truck survived the crash.
Hitchhikers in the north often ride atop the trucks carrying produce and livestock to the south.
Traffic crashes remain common in Nigeria, a nation with potholed highways and many speeding drivers.
The World Health Organisation has said Nigeria is the third worst country for traffic fatalities, after China and India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'