29 kidnapped Chinese workers released in Sudan
Beijing: Nearly two weeks after they were
abducted in Sudan, 29 Chinese workers were on Tuesday released by
by the local rebels and flown to Kenya.
The 29 workers boarded a plane for Nairobi chartered by
the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), an ICRC
source told the state-run Xinhua news agency.
They will be handed over to the Chinese embassy at
Nairobi after 11 days in captivity.
"The Sudanese authorities allowed a Red Cross plane to
take them from Kauda to Nairobi ... this morning where
they were given to the Chinese embassy there," according to a
statement from the Sudanese Foreign Ministry.
Their release followed intensive rescue efforts carried
out by the Chinese government in collaboration with the
Sudanese authorities and other parties, the Xinhua report
It was not known how ICRC managed to secure the 29
On January 28, a group of gunmen belonging to the Sudan
People`s Liberation Movement (SPLM - northern sector) attacked
the camp of a Chinese company operating at a road construction
site in South Kordofan State.
A total of 47 Chinese workers were in the camp then,
among whom 29 were abducted by the assailants while the other
18 managed to escape.
Among those who managed to escape, 17 were later found by
the Sudanese army and transferred to a safe place, and one was
confirmed killed after having been unaccounted for days.
Sudanese authorities today handed over the body of the
dead Chinese worker to the Chinese side.
Besides this incident, 25 Chinese workers were held by
some local Egyptians on January 31 in northern Sinai region.
Thanks to the joint efforts by the Chinese and Egyptian
governments, the Chinese workers were released some 15 hours
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch