3 men charged with terror offenses: British police
London: Three men from central England have been charged with terrorism offenses after a series of raids last week, British police has said.
The men were arrested after a search of an impounded vehicle turned up guns and other weapons, prompting police to trace and arrest the driver, passenger and other suspects.
West Midlands Police said in a statement yesterday that the three are charged with "engaging in conduct in preparation for an act or acts of terrorism, with the intention of committing such acts."
The alleged conduct includes the manufacture of an improvised explosive device, the acquisition of firearms and other weapons, and the purchase of cars connected with their plans between May 1 and July 4, police added.
Britain`s Crown Prosecution Service confirmed it had authorised the charges against the men but declined to comment on a possible target, attack, or at what stage any alleged plans had been.
The men, Jewel Uddin, 26, Omar Mohammed Khan, 27, and Mohammed Hasseen, 23, will appear at Westminster Magistrates Court in London today. All are from Birmingham in central England.
Police said four other men arrested in relation to the same investigation remain in custody.
Over the past week, 14 people have been arrested on suspicion of terrorism activity. Police insist none of the cases are linked to plots against the upcoming London Olympics, which run July 27-August 12.
Britain`s terror level is currently ranked as substantial , the third highest point on a five-point scale, and means an attack is a strong possibility. Intelligence officials say there has been an expected increase in chatter among extremist groups ahead of the Olympics, but there are still no specific or credible threats targeting the games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers