3 policemen shot dead in Egypt
Cairo: Gunmen on Monday killed three policemen in Egypt, where attacks against security forces have been on the rise in the face of a bloody crackdown against Islamists, security officials said.
The assailants opened fire on the policemen who were posted near the University of Mansura in Egypt`s Nile Delta region, before fleeing, one source said.
Since the army`s ouster of the country`s first freely elected president, Islamist Mohamed Morsi, near-daily attacks targeting security forces have left dozens dead, particularly in the lawless Sinai peninsula.
The interim government installed by the army accuses pro-Morsi Islamist groups of being behind the attacks.
Jihadist movements have claimed many of the attacks, slamming what they call a brutal military coup and have demanded Morsi`s return to power.
Since August 14, when policemen and soldiers killed hundreds of pro-Morsi demonstrators in Cairo as they dispersed two huge protest camps, over 1,000 have died in the crackdown.
More than 2,000 members and supporters of Morsi`s Muslim Brotherhood have also been arrested since August, including Morsi and its top leadership, who will face trial for inciting the killing of protesters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport