30 Al Shabaab militants killed in Somalia
Nairobi: At least 30 Al Shabaab militants were killed by joint Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) and Somalia National Army (SNA) near the Kenyan border Saturday, Kenya`s military officials said.
The Somali and Kenyan soldiers attacked the militants` hideout in Kolbio in southern Somalia, Xinhua quoted Kenya Defence Forces spokesman Major Emmanuel Chirchir as saying.
"Somali National Army killed over 30 Al Shabaab militants in Kolbio, close to Kenya border," Chirchir tweeted, adding that seven AK-47 were recovered from the hideout.
"The raid was part of AMISOM operational plan for sustained offensive operations against Al Shabaab," he said.
The latest onslaught comes after KDF confirmed Thursday that they had destroyed a training camp used by members of Al Shabaab who attacked an upscale shopping mall in Kenya`s capital Nairobi Sep 21.
KDF spokesman Colonel Cyrus Oguna said the camp, located about 50 km east of Binswor in southern Somalia, was the main target because most of the militants who attacked the Westgate mall in Nairobi received training at the camp.
"It was not possible to verify how many militants who were killed during the attack in Binswor on Thursday since the area was sealed off. What I can confirm is that four technicals (military trucks) were destroyed," Oguna said.
The attack at the Westgate shopping mall left at least 70 people dead. Forensic experts are still carrying out investigations to establish those behind the attack.
Sources said more than 300 al Qaeda allied terror group`s recruits were at the camp at the time of the attack and that many of them are believed to have been killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22