30 dead after Nigeria boat capsizes: Official
Lagos: A rescue official says at least 30
people died after an overloaded boat capsized in Nigeria`s
oil-rich southern delta.
Emergency manager Napoleon Ezekiah told a news agency today that at least 14 others are feared dead after the
boat going from Eagle Island to Mgbuodohia in Rivers state
capsized Tuesday night.
Ezekiah says the engine-powered wooden boat had a
capacity of about 35 people, but is believed to have been
carrying as many as 55 passengers on the journey that usually
takes about five minutes.
He says six people survived, including a woman who gave
birth Thursday to "a bouncing baby boy".
People rely largely on boat travel in rural parts of
Nigeria`s oil-rich but impoverished delta, a region of swamps,
mangroves and creeks, roughly the same size as South Carolina.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach