30 dead after Nigeria boat capsizes: Official
Lagos: A rescue official says at least 30
people died after an overloaded boat capsized in Nigeria`s
oil-rich southern delta.
Emergency manager Napoleon Ezekiah told a news agency today that at least 14 others are feared dead after the
boat going from Eagle Island to Mgbuodohia in Rivers state
capsized Tuesday night.
Ezekiah says the engine-powered wooden boat had a
capacity of about 35 people, but is believed to have been
carrying as many as 55 passengers on the journey that usually
takes about five minutes.
He says six people survived, including a woman who gave
birth Thursday to "a bouncing baby boy".
People rely largely on boat travel in rural parts of
Nigeria`s oil-rich but impoverished delta, a region of swamps,
mangroves and creeks, roughly the same size as South Carolina.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking! Indian man washes vegetables in sewer water (Watch video)
- Olympics 2016: Usain Bolt arrives in Rio for shot at immortality
- Man detained from Dubai-Kozhikode IndiGo flight did not raise ISIS slogans
- Armed with a brush, a dalit fights paralysis with miniature art
- Menopause, insomnia may accelerate ageing