`30 dead in Nigeria after oil tankers catch fire`
Abuja: At least 30 people were burnt to death after five oil tankers caught fire following an explosion in a southern Nigerian city.
"The fire involved five petrol tankers. Residents were rushing to scoop fuel but were stopped by members of the military," spokesman of National Emergency Management Agency Yushau Shuaib told a news agency.
He could not confirm the casualty figure.
But, local Daily Trust newspaper said that 30 people were burnt to death when the tankers caught fire yesterday after explosion at Abuloma waterside and Rumuokehi in southern city of Port Harcourt in oil rich Rivers State.
Fire fighters battled to put off the fire while members of the NEMA rescued five persons from the inferno, the paper said.
Last week, a similar fire incident killed 200 people in the same state. Fuel leaks and oil tanker accidents in Nigeria often draw huge crowds scrambling to scoop fuel, resulting in many deaths due to accidental fires.
Many hundreds of people have died over the last decade when trying to take fuel leaking from pipelines that have broken or been vandalised by oil thieves.
Nigeria is a major oil exporter, but millions of its citizens live in poverty.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know