30 killed in Egypt military raid
Cairo: At least 30 militants are believed to have been killed in a raid by the Egyptian army launched on militant hideouts, an official said.
Saturday`s raids in the North Sinai governorate bordering Israel targeted 12 villages in Sheikh Zuwaid city, reports Xinhua.
"It is the biggest military campaign in Sinai since the 1973 war," a security source said.
Around 2,500 soldiers and officers from the army, police and central security forces took part in the operation.
Military helicopters carried out several air strikes on suspected militant hideouts, and several houses and weapon warehouses were destroyed.
Three vehicles belonging to the militants were destroyed.
The exact death toll was not clear yet. The official news agency MENA said at least 15 militants were arrested.
Security conditions deteriorated in the Sinai peninsula after the ouster of Islamist President Mohamed Morsi. The army thereafter intensified its operations to eradicate the focal points of terrorists and hardline Jihadist movements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!