30 killed in Nigeria school attack
Abuja: Twenty-nine students and a teacher have been killed by suspected Islamist insurgents in Nigeria`s Yobe state, as anxious parents rushed to the spot to identify their burnt and shot children.
Most of the victims were burnt alive by the assailants in yesterday`s attack in a boarding school in Potiskum area.
Some of the parents had two or more children killed in the incident while the survivors remained in great shock.
Military spokesperson Eli Lazarus said 20 pupils and a teacher had died but eyewitnesses maintained that 29 students and a teacher were killed.
Lazarus said no arrests have been made so far but search operations have commenced.
Survivors were treated for burns and gunshot wounds at a nearby hospital.
Residents and parents lamented that despite the declaration of state of emergency in the state, military protection was not provided for students of Government Secondary School, Mamudo where the school was located.
Members of radical Islamic sect Boko Haram have been carrying out killings in northern Nigeria since 2009 forcing the government of President Goodluck Jonathan to declare state of emergency in three states of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa with massive deployment of soldiers to the area.
However, the sect which says it abhors Western education manages to carry out surprise attacks from time to time in the northern parts of the oil-rich African country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon