30 Muslim Rohingya escape jail in Thailand`s south
Bangkok: Police say 30 Muslim Rohingya asylum seekers from Myanmar who were detained in southern Thailand for illegally entering the country escaped from a police jail cell, 10 days after they were moved from a crowded detention center.
Police Maj Gen Suwit Choensiri says the men used blades to cut the cell`s bars and used ropes made of clothes to escape from the Sadao district police station in Songkhla province early today.
He says police are checking closed circuit television footage to trace the men.
More than 1,700 asylum seekers from Myanmar`s beleaguered Rohingya minority who arrived in Thailand by boat early this year are being held in crowded detention centers.
The 30 who escaped today are among hundreds of jailed Rohingya who protested last month against the crowded conditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi