30,000 people involved in London riots: Police
London: Scotland Yard on Monday said around
30,000 people were suspected to be involved in the recent
violence that gripped the British capital for more than four
Metropolitan police figures released today showed 3,296
crimes were committed during the widespread arson, The Daily
This means an average of about ten people being linked to
each crime, the daily said.
Even the overwhelming figures, have not deterred the
police from nabbing all those involved in the loot and riots.
"It was the true definition of mob violence and the Met
is keen to find out who all these people are," a police source
was quoted as saying by the Sunday Times.
The violence witnessed a volley of criminal activities
ranging from handling of stolen goods to firing at police.
The BBC had reported yesterday that 1,875 people had been
arrested so far and more than 1,070 people were charged in
connection with the disorder between August 6 and 9.
The prison population in England and Wales is less than
1,500 short of the usable operational capacity of 88,093,
Ministry of Justice figures showed.
However, the British Government said enough jail places
will be available for those sentenced and contingency measures
were in place.
The Prison Service said it was facing an "unprecedented
situation" and was "developing contingencies to increase
usable capacity should further pressure be placed on the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum